Gary Luca <garyluc...@gmail.com> wrote on 15-07-2010 05:02:40:

> Ok. So I just got a whole TON of replies with questions to answer.  Here
goes:

> Nathaniel...
>
> DNS/DHCP at the remote site are handled by the Westell ADSL2 modem.
>  It deals out just IP, Subnet mask, gateway (itself) and DNS (also
> itself).  DNS relays to what I imagine are Verizon DNS servers.  The
> relavent DNS records on the local network (in Microsoft DNS Server)
> are as follows:
>
> spadafora4senate.com
>      mal-pbx (A) 172.16.17.45
>      spadafora4senate.com (NAPTR) [2][0][S][SIP+D2U]<Reg Exp>[_sip._
> udp.spadafora4senate.com.]
>      spadafora4senate.com (NAPTR) [2][0][S][SIP+D2T]<Reg Exp>[_sip._
> tcp.spadafora4senate.com.]

As far as I know you can skip the NAPTR's, I have been running without
them for years.

> _tcp.spadafora4senate.com
>      _sip (SRV) [200][1][5060] mal-pbx.spadafora4senate.com.
>      _sips (SRV) [300][1][5060] mal-pbx.spadafora4senate.com.
>
> _udp.spadafora4senate.com
>      _sip (SRV) [100][1][5060] mal-pbx.spadafora4senate.com.

These are the DNS records you use on the central site, that's why your
Polycoms work locally.
You need something similar on the remote site, that's what's missing.

> Doug...
>
> Thank you for the link regarding FTP.  Do you know of any place
> where I can find detailed instructions on how precisely to configure
> sipX for whatever it needs in order for FTP to work for phone
> provisioning?  On the local network I use TFTP, which I don't mind
> because it is a secure network.  For the REMOTES i'd rather use FTP
> as it incorporates authentication.
>
> Tony...
>
> I actually thought it WAS a DNS issue for a while.  I looked through
> the wiki and everything I could find about DNS considerations for
> sipX and nothing mentioned anything about external DNS (that I could
> see).  So, being fairly new to the SIP world, I assumed the only
> resolution that had to be done by the remote phone was in regards to
> the Outgoing Proxy.  I figured it just contacted the Outgoing Proxy
> and that acted as the middle man for everything, not requiring the
> phone to have to do any other DNS resolution or anything.  The
> proxy, being on the local network, would resolve everything to the
> local DNS and just make everything work for the remote user.  It
> seemed to make sense, but my limited knowledge of the inner workings
> of the relationship between the remote, the proxy, and the registrar
> left me without a DEFINITE answer.
>
> So at that point, with the phones just NOT registering at all, it
> was clear that it could be ANYTHING.  My sipX config could be wrong.
>  I could have screwed something up with the NAT traversal features.
>  It could have been a DNS issue.  It could have been a phone issue.
>  So I had to narrow it down.  That's when I installed x-lite.  And
> within like a MINUTE, I had it connected to sipX and able to make
> and receive calls.  There was NO VPN involved or anything.  Just
> straight over the internet through a NAT on both ends.  Here are the
> settings I used:
>
> General
>      User ID: x703
>      Domain: spadafora4senate.com
>      Password: *********
>      Display name: Gary Luca
>      Authorization name: [blank]
>
>      Register with domain and receive calls: [checked]
>      Send outbound via: Proxy - Address: myhostname.no-ip.org

Get x-lite working without "Send outbound via Proxy".
By enabling "Send outbound via Proxy" x-lite will register via the A
record of myhostname.no-ip.org.
If "Send outbound via Proxy" is disabled x-lite will try to resolve the
SRV records for spadafora4senate.com (or was that spada4a4senate.com ;-)
This is also the method the Polycom's will use.

Now you need to create the corresponding SRV records somewhere so that
x-lite and polycoms on the remote site can register via SRV records:

_tcp.spadafora4senate.com
      _sip (SRV) [200][1][5060] myhostname.no-ip.org
      _sips (SRV) [300][1][5060] myhostname.no-ip.org

_udp.spadafora4senate.com
      _sip (SRV) [100][1][5060] myhostname.no-ip.org

This can be done by defining the SRV records on your internet dns-server
(ISP)
or setting up a DNS at the remote site or ... I don't know your setup
enough to give the best advise.

>      Dial plan: #1\a\a.T;match=1;prestrip=2;
>
> Topology
>      IP Address: Use local IP address
>      STUN Server: Discover server
>      Enable ICE: [unchecked]
>
>      Manually specify range: [unchecked]

I think this is the port range (don't have x-lite running), normally the
port range
is limited to keep the firewall rules simple and not too open.
It is normally limited to ports 30000-31000, a smaller range is also
possible.