Ok.  We are making progress.  It APPEARS as though the phone is now
communicating with the sipX via FTP.  I deleted and recreated one of the
remote phones in sipX, changing the line configuration from what it used to
be (so I could actually SEE a change from the old configuration).  The
configuration was indeed updated.

The PROBLEM is that it isn't downgrading the firmware.  I uploaded the
3.1.3c file in Devices > Device Files.  I setup a new "profile" basically
using the 3.1.3c file and 4.2.2 bootrom and just deactivated the 3.2.3
"profile".

Ideas?