When I did a quick skim at first to see the estimate probability of
the ease of implementation, I noticed that the client has a lot of
code already to handle local textures, even from the upload pipeline
it isn't far off, during the final lines of the upload sequence when
it calls gAssetStorage for the legacy upload I think had some
parameters to enable a local-only upload. Which would be one step in
the direction of this feature already. Mind you, was a quick skim for
an estimate.

I'm already working on trying to get it as a feature in my custom
client, anyone willing once the implementation is finished may then
attempt to create a jira patch from it or just learn from how I did
it.

- Nexii
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev