Hello.

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 19:40, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Montag, den 16.11.2009, 21:09 +0300 schrieb Nikita V. Youshchenko:
> > >
> > > On a related note... my super-secret plan is to get rid of sysvinit and
> > > make a highly optimized init process that does just enough to get dbus
> > > and (optionally) X up. That may as well be incorporated into
> > > fso-monitord, we'll see...
> >
> > How that relates with (1) upstart, (2) whatever moblin uses for startup?
>
> IIRC they're doing more or less the same. Upstart these days can
> integrate with DBus, which is a good thing, and should probably be used
> for all who view their device as a mini-linux-computer. For those who
> just want a smart phone, I tend to believe that no init system is the
> right init system.

So your Palm Pre is a mini-linux-computer and not a smart phone in Palm's view?
:D

While i agree that much of the init system we know from SysV init is not well
suited for mobile device I think upstarts offers other functionality you are
going to re-implement anyway. Like dependencies, events and restart of jobs.

Don't want to destroy your minit dreams here. :P

> Having a choice between those approaches is good, so I'd welcome seeing
> upstart being a deployable option in OE. What's the state of support in
> debian?

I'm running it here. In SysV compat mode.

reagrds
Stefan Schmidt