It has always been easy to tweak mental ray to render a decent image. The
trick is when you add more things to make the image complex, and then....
move the camera :) Add some hair and motion blur into the mix, with an
animated character.

Then report back the render times. And this goes for all renderers, not
just mental ray.

The limitation with GPU render engines is ram. They just can't load
everything you need into ram. And if you get a GPU raid that can handle it,
you have spent a lot more money than what you could have bought a CPU farm
for.

With that said, I see a lot of possibilities for GPU rendering and
visualizations or previz.... I'm going a bit off-topic.... as you were
people. :)

regards
stefan

--