Mostly to avoid cores idling, with large tile sizes you could really be
wasting time, especially for something that only occupies a small part of
the image, or a really detailed patch that's left to last running on a
single core after everything else is finished. But it's part of my
optimization routine, so occasionally I increase the size. Never heard of
the extra sampling issue, can't imagine it would over-shadow the 1:8 ratio
of cores rendering simultaneously though, unless it's a scene with
extremely even detail level.