Doesn't prevent defense only make sense in games that have a defined end?

Am I the only one who thinks of the "prevent defense" when you look at what
Autodesk is doing with the entire Media & Entertainment line?

For you non-Americans / non-American football fans.  The prevent defense is
what some coaches use when they are in the lead and the game is near the
end.  The idea is, maintain the lead and don't make any mistakes.  It's an
extremely conservative, boring way to try to win a game.

A lot of people would say the prevent defense prevents you from winning
because you don't try to do anything on offense except not screw up - you
don't try to score any more points, you just hold on to the ball and then
punt it back to the opposing team - and on defense you allow the opposition
to gain ground, hoping that if you give ground, they won't score more
points.  Meanwhile the other team still wants to win, so they pull out all
the stops and try every innovative thing they can think of to score as many
points as possible as quickly as possible.

I've seen a lot of games that ended badly for the team using the prevent
defense.

Autodesk has the lead in the market & they just want to play prevent
defense.  Meanwhile Fabric/Creation, Houdini, The Foundry, NewTek, etc.,
etc., realize the game isn't over.

-Paul