Thanks for the replies. I was looking at simulated hair strands alright,
I'll continue that path of research now that I know it is used method. I'd
love to port MT_springs to Maya but am a little tight on time at the
moment. Possibly at a later date though :)

@Seb Thanks for the link. After I posted the question, I thinking that the
Bonus Tool may have a solution!

I'll post my results for anyone else who is interested.