Somebody ought to make a comparison between Modo  and Cinema4D. Both looks
interesting.
Arnold might have tipped the scale a little towards C4D but for how long…

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Tim Crowson
Sent: 5 août 2014 09:55
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Cinema 4D an option?

The thing that I miss from Softimage in Modo, where passes are concerned, is
the ability to create pass-specific partitions and overrides that don't exist
anywhere else. Other than that, I have to say that I think Modo's pass system
is possibly more powerful, simply because its passes are containers for unique
parameter values on anything in the scene. Granted, the workflow is different,
and not as refined as XSI's (and if you keep 'Auto-Add' on you're begging for
trouble), but I do think there's more power there than what XSI offers. Or at
least a different sort of power. But yes, the workflow needs some love, and it
really could use a dedicated pass manager UI of some sort.

I'm kinda psyched that Modo now offers nodal shading though. It's a bit more
low-level than what you get in XSI. But the ability to use the same node graph
to drive rigging and shading is pretty neat.

While we're on a topic that's off-topic.... I'm currently providing some basic
QA for the update to Rich Hurrey's Rigging Master
Course<http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/riggingmastercourse/>, in which
he covers deformers (among other things) left, right, up, down and sideways.
It's crazy in-depth. Very thorough, and demystifies how Modo approaches rigging
and deformation. It's also very lengthy (nearly as long as the original RMC). I
don't know when it will be released, but it should be in the next few months.

-Tim