It should...

I use this script for rigging, matching the center's T and R to match a
locator to a group.

It is querying the world position and rotation of the second object and
applying those values to the first selected object.

But to be honest, I have not tried it modifying the object's pivot.

Emilio Hernández   VFX & 3D animation.