From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Ponthieux, Joseph
G. (LARC-E1A)[LITES]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 11:21 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: more maya......

If you want to edit pivots, Dirk Bialluch I think wrote this like 15 years ago.
I should still work.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/pivot-toolbox

Pivots in Maya don’t work like Centres in Soft.

If you want to set up a complex relationship do the following:

1.       create all your objects

2.       ignore the objects pivots

3.       align your objects

4.       create null locators where you want your “centres” for each object to
go.

5.       Arrange the locators rotation and hierarchy as necessary for the
rotations you want

6.       Parent the objects under their respective locators

If you have a complex series of rotation orders manage them by cascading
locators.

A good example would be

Yaw
--------- Pitch
                                --------- Object

But set this up and test the rig before you make the object a child of the rig.

There are some advantages to this workflow, you have to do this in Soft for
anything more complex anyway, but Maya’s pivot theory has been this way since
1.0. The rotation order function is a direct descendent of Wavefront.

In Maya Null locators(Group) are your friends.

--
Joey Ponthieux
LaRC Information Technology Enhanced Services (LITES)