*Hey Matt.Thanks for the extended explanation and insight! I'll tinker with
your expression and see what I develop with it. My C++ skills though at the
moment are none. So I'll have to invest in that in the future. This seems
like a good place to start *
https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse/?pmtag=1c144738-b28d-4cdc-ae62-3d96a002386a
* :) *

I had completely forgotten about UV to location, thanks for the heads-up
about its issues!

I do have to admit a mistake here. I was only playing with Constrain to
Curve (Path) not (Param). The latter does not have the constrained object
sliding around the relative length, so I can work with it!
One issue with Curve constrain is the Up-Vector is not great. So I went
with two parallel lofted curves and Constrain to Surface which give me a
good sense of orientation: http://i.imgur.com/QukQbIC.png even though the
tangent is not as good as the curve constrain. Only used ICE to get the
Scale from the CPS to the deformers.

This chain will have multiple purposes for me from tail to tentacle
Though the only thing I'm missing is an IK/FK switch solution that allows
me to pose in IK and switch/bake keys into FK. I guess I'll just go with FK
for now.

Thanks!
Pedro