Hoping that others will chime in here with other ideas. Have you,
though, tried reducing the JVM memory, leaving more available for the OS
disk cache? Having said that, I'd expect that to improve performance,
not to cause JVM crashes.

It might also help to know what version of Java you are running.

Upayavira