Nothing against PHP. My suggestion is toward a simpler architecture and a
fast go-live.

I'm not suggesting Andreas to go-live with Solritas as it is. Of course
there is some work to be done before doing it and I think this work would
be faster and would take him to a simpler architecture than setting up and
developing a PHP layer. Why add something new if what you have can be
easily customized?

Maybe we could create a "to do list" in order to start thinking of going
live with Solritas:

- if you are going to use a DIH with a database do not let the database
configuration plain in data-config.xml. Let data-config.xml references a
jndi of your database config.

- in order to restrict access to the Solr admin interface, change
authentication configuration in the solr war's web.xml.ve

- have in mind that Solritas uses a template system (Velocity). It is
limited in the way you wont be able to build backend processing with it.

- fell free to customize Solritas layout using CSS3, HTML5, ajax and all
client side stuff.

- consider using and Apache httpd as a reverse proxy to restrict direct
access to your solritas.

-if you have a high traffic landing on you solritas, consider having a
Varnish in front of it.

Anything else?

What do you think?

Marcelo Carvalho Fernandes