Julian Oliver wrote:

> this is where the GPLv3's 'intolerant' and 'restrictive' stance is
> sane, and i would argue, necessary in these cannibalistic times.
>
> don't forget also that patent offices are legal enterprises in their
> own right: they want to widen the scope of what's considered
> patentable in order to widen their wallets. this is precisely why
> America is starting to see patents on things like narrative
> structures, musical forms, videogame designs, the smell of fresh
> bread etc..
>
> here's some reccommended reading:

I think that instead of ranting, you should try to understand how such
"patent protection" in GPL v3 actually works. The parts dealing with
patents depend on the party distributing the code to also be obliged to
grant licenses to any patents required for using/distributing the code
further.

To quote from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html:

"Whenever someone conveys software covered by GPLv3 that they've written
or modified, they must provide every recipient with any patent licenses
necessary to exercise the rights that the GPL gives them. In addition to
that, if any licensee tries to use a patent suit to stop another user
from exercising those rights, their license will be terminated."

This means, that adoption of GPL v3 doesn't give you ANY magic
protection against 3rd-party patents at all. It only protects you from a
company FOO contributing something to Soya and then claiming that it is
patented and you cannot use/distribute it without paying them royalties
(Microsoft-Novell case). However, that is fairly easy to protect against
by code review when accepting patches and removal of such code if
accused of patent violations (see e.g. Linux kernel developers dealing
with patent issues). I cannot imagine Jiba or whoever accepting a code
contribution from a company without reviewing it. Actually, this case is
implicitly covered by GPL v2 already, GPL v3 only makes this more clear
and explicit.

In case of a patent troll or e.g. Blizzard suing Soya developers or
somebody using Soya for violation of their patent, you are equally well
screwed as before - unless Blizzard is also distributing (and dependent)
on Soya, you are in exactly the same situation as before - GPL v3
doesn't (and cannot because it is a copyright license) give you any
larger legal "hammer" to wield, because you cannot harm them by voiding
a license for product they do not need/use.

If you are thinking about a case when somebody takes e.g. Soya and gets
a patent on something in it, then this is all moot - such patent would
be trivially invalidated with prior art (Soya itself!).

While I agree with your sentiment on software patents and their general
stupidity and threat to software development, please, do educate
yourself how the license actually works. It is fairly dangerous to make
important decisions only on ideology and hear-say.

Regards,

Jan