On 10-Oct-21 09:26, Robert Raszuk wrote:
>     > Hi Brian,
>     >
>     >> Which means: 64 bits.
>     >
>     > Sorry but what is so magic about /64 here ?
>
>     It is mandated by the current IPv6 addressing architecture.
>

> Really ? Where ? I am looking at RFC4291 and nowhere I can find /64
> reference.

An address consists of a subnet prefix followed by an interface ID (see RFC4291
section 2.5). Then:

"  For all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary
   value 000, Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long..."

(RFC4291 section 2.5.1)

(The second half of that sentence is updated by
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7136#section-5, but the 64 bits remains.)

> Moreover sections 2.4 and 2.5 are very clear that there is no magic /64
hard defined.

The parameter is set unambiguously by section 2.5.1 and confirmed by RFC7136. I
have argued that it should be taken out and put in a separate document, but
there was no consensus to do so.

    Brian

> The text actually goes even further and says:
>
>    Except for the knowledge of the subnet boundary discussed in the
>    previous paragraphs, nodes should not make any assumptions about the
>    structure of an IPv6 address.
>

> Thx,
>
> R.
>

>     Despite many discussions, there has never been consensus to change it. So
> if /64 is not the boundary between the routeable part and the host-specific
> part, it's not IPv6.
>
>        Brian
>
>     >
>     > Is this coming from the longest routable IPv6 prefix ? Sort of analogy
> to /24 in the IPv4 world ? Or something else ?
>     >
>     > I think LPM and CIDR techniques are pretty well established.
>     >
>     > Any fixed length of the address block with the meaning - do not use
> those bits inter or intra domain for anything useful even if your
prefix+node can happily fit in /32 seems just dead wrong to me. And that is
irrespective of any SRv6 discussion.
>     >
>     > In my books if I get allocated say /48 or /40 from RIR what I do with
> the remaining bits is my own business.
>     >
>     > Best,
>     > R.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     > Sorry, but it is a little bit late –
RFC 8986 is already published.