I've been noodling on these issues for a couple of days now (many thanks to
all who've been trying to help me understand), and I'm kinda confused by
how some unicast address semantics could be met (or not met).
Specifically: how can you ping a CSID?  It's possible to ping a SID, but I
don't yet see how this works with CSIDs.

Per RFC 4443 S4.2, the source address of an Echo Reply MUST be the
Destination Address.  If I understand things correctly (a big "if") the
first segment router won't reply to an Echo Request but instead
`uncompress` the address and forward the packet on, until it reaches the
last node.  The last node won't be able to originate a packet with the
correct source address though, I think.

Am I missing something?  Probably...