Someone sent me an email focusing on 13:23.1.6.1 that prompted me to revisit this issue. I was focused on plastic (which seems to pop-up all the time and is NOT an adequate transition piece) but as the Sprinkler handbook identifies, other metal types of pipe could do. I find it amusing that it still lists steel since its use is severely restricted. Other honorable mentions are iron and copper. Now copper is an easy one to apply the above/below listing to but I've never looked for that nuance in the listing of iron (and assume nothing is there). Does any one have hard data on it?
I always appreciate personal emails pointing out possible statements that are less than correct (sounds better than saying wong) but as my fellow PE's will attest, it sometimes takes a baseball bat to convince us. Roland Begin forwarded message: > Ignoring what many do as the basis for continuing it (like heat > vents in a sprinklered building which I Like to say as having > legitimacy by longevity), how can one claim that any pipe above the > floor is UNDERGROUND? The variables of concern and related tests are > based on the use and environment that the pipe is exposed to. Once > you pass the plane of the floor, wouldn't a different set of > concerns apply? Bottom line, it is Above Ground pipe and must be > listed within that category. > > Roland > _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
