If this is a contractor requirement I'd say he has two responsibilities.

1) To Basically show the water supply as it exists, with a new flow test or
use an existing flow test, and map the system in the immediate area, or
photo copy an existing site utility map. (justification) is meaningless,
unless it tells you somewhere what your trying to justify. (Are you
justifying that the existing supply is adequate. Are you justifying a C.O.
for a new service to the building. Are you simply justifying the insurance
co suspicion that the supply does not meet current requirements, or does?
Beyond that unless other language in the contract tells you what is
required, you have no responsibility outside of presenting the information
stated.

2)Describe--Yup I'd say you look up, and write a nice letter telling
everyone what currently exists for seismic protection. (What? There is
none?) We'll it'd be a short letter, something like this: "There currently
is no seismic protection, bracing or restraint of an non-structural systems
or components."

This spec seems to be one of the most ASSUMING spec's I've seen lately.
Remember even if the contractor signed this, if something is not clear or
mutually understood, it is the responsibility of the writer to make it
clear, whatever the contractor thinks it says, is what it says if that would
be the commonly accepted understanding and will hold up in court. It's the
Arch./Eng. Responsibility to make what he requires clear and understandable
to the "Common Man" or Contractor through use of words or drawings or
specific reference to some code or standards.


Thom McMahon, SET
Firetech, Inc.
2560 Copper Ridge Dr
P.O. Box 882136
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488
Tel:  970-879-7952
Fax: 970-879-7926


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ron Greenman
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 9:15 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: review of sprinkler plans ends up with GC requesting the
reviewer to provide additional plan sheet because contractor don´t want to

Scot,

Is that your part of the contract or his or both? The snippet is both vague
(my opinion) as to what is really wanted and totally unclear about whose
responsibility. Now the quoted text is excised from a larger document and so
I may be (probably am) missing something but as a contractor I'd never have
signed anything like this without clarification. If I were him right now,
having had stupidly signed something with these clauses in it assuming they
weren't meant for me, I'd be hanging my hat on the fact that the requirement
in the spec is calling for engineering and I don't do that kind of work.
This looks like you're going to have to lawyer up if you can't reach some
sort of agreement. But the usual disclaimers about not being one, dressing
like one nor playing one on TV. I will say I've had to argue my former
employer's position (never in court) many times and the only one I ever lost
was when my boss was overcharging a customer due to my boss'
own mismanagement and when asked by the client if I thought the charges were
fair I agreed they were not. Needless to say the next few months were not
the most comfortable but if I go to hell it will be for some other
infraction.

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 4:44 AM, å... .... <[email protected]> wrote:
> spec 1328A say
> 1.16.2.2.10.q.
> ...to provide justification for the watersupply including
>  diagram of the waterflow system and flow test arrangement,
>  a description of the test, hydraulic characteristics of flow
>  and test hydrants....
>
> 1.16.2.2.4
> ....describe seismic bracing, restraint and protection features for 
> non-structural building systems and installed components.
>
>
>>
>> scot deal
>> excelsior fire
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: 
> [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email 
> to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



--
Ron Greenman
at home....
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to