"I want the government to get a reasonable product"

Not your job as I understand it.  You are to review to the spec of what
someone else wanted.  Unless you write the spec you don't get what you want.


"Just document the underground and water supply like NFPA 13 asks."

What does this accomplish?  Aside from the snippet of the spec you provided
(I don't know the context) there is rarely a reason to do calcs on an add
and relocate.  Yes there are times and I don't know if this is one. I'd also
challenge the thought 13 requires this for A&R if you have no calc issues.
For example going from 225 sqft spacing to 400 sqft probably requires a
calc. But I can do this by just taking the existing back to the main then
the new spacing back to the same point on the main and show it's less
demanding.  I think that is perfectly acceptable without going all the way
back to the UG.

"the contract FPE serves two masters"  no not really you were hired to
review to the spec for the GC end of story.  If the sprinkler spec doesn't
ask for existing piping to be brought up to modern EQ bracing then you don't
review for it.  If you have reason to believe the new layout is more
hydraulically demanding then maybe depending on the spec you look into it.  

Sounds to me you are over thinking your role.  Not a bad thing, I know you
are concerned about it being right when you leave.  The spec writer may or
may not be concerned with getting it right.  Then we may have different
definitions of right depending on our training, education and experience.
And the writer in this case is the owner and might not want to pay for
things and has the legal authority to do what they want.  If you have
concerns beyond the scope of the spec'd work you can certainly document
those for CYA.  The owner then can decide what to do with those.  Your
review letter should probably have two sections - the review to spec and
other issues not covered by the spec but may be important.     

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of å... ....
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 1:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: review of sprinkler plans ends up with GC requesting the reviewer
to provide additional plan sheet because contractor don´t want to

Again, accept my thanks.to all of you. seriously.
i will take the black and the blue
cause i am learning on you.
I am not out to break the contractor's bank.
working with this national contracting company--
  at least this office of theirs-- has been  frustrating
  and time consuming.

the specs are not ideal.
the specs are for the GC, who hires the sprinkler contractor
  and then hires an engineer to review the sprinkler
  contractor's drawings (me).



I want the government to get a reasonable product, and
  receive a water supply description they can refer to in the future,
  because these buildings have a service life of 35-50
  years and will probably be
  renovated again, like they
  were before in '94.

So, I will let the earthquake bracing issue fall.
I don't want to be unreasonable, just that almost all
military jobs I worked on, seismic is required,
regardless if the job is in Oklahoma or in Northridge, CA.
it seemed like a natural thing to ask for.

Regarding waterflow, I would be happy with a JPEG of the
UG piping plan splashed on a sheet, or
even hand drawn layout.  Just document the underground
and water supply like NFPA 13 asks.  The renovation has
a changed wall layout, and new design area.  To get the UG
water supply and waterflow information documented, the
GC is forwarding to me the civil engineer's work, and I am going to put the
UG piping
and  waterflow on a new sheet with my letterhead and name.
This is the quickest way to get it done.

The government PE (I am not sure if it is the same one that
wrote the spec, but i got a suspicion) has stated to the GC
that they are concerned the contract FPE (me) has not been
doing his job.

that was after i went through 3 plan check cycles with this
contractor on another project, over the same things.  The
government PE apparently did not have a clue about
what was going on, or the sprinkler contractor gave him a
clue.  Earthquake bracing was provided on that project as
it was new construction.  same specs were used though.

I think the military contract FPE model is tweaked.
the contract FPE serves two masters.  but only
one pays me:  the GC.  only thing is, the other master
is the one that pays the GC.



scot deal
excelsior fire
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to