Let me rephrase for Ralphy.  Last week we spoke about failure causes.  What
I think he is trying to convey is if the valve is open statistically nothing
else matters.  OK it's not that simple but 3-5 lbs under on a theoretical
calc vs. a real world fire don't show up in failure data.  There are many
many reasons for this. Including some fudge in the HW many times, some fudge
in the C factors(more so on newer systems), k factors, density actually
required, and density actually delivered especially on the first couple
heads that open. 

If the hazard and design density are in sync and the valve is open and
something caused the City supply to drop 5 psi and the original RA was 0
safety and the fire starts in the RA does anyone really think the building
is going to burn down?  I don't.  I also don't design like that, it is one
link in the failure chain I can control. 

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to