I have a special situation where I'll be testing pumps on a combined
domestic/fire water supply.  Water is in a ground level tank, multiple pumps
"blue" arranged to start sequentially as demand increases.  Some of these
blue pumps are designated as fire pumps and have higher flow
characteristics.  Problem is there is no test header and the testing will
have to be performed without shutting down the water system.

My suggestion is to do the testing at a low demand period but use clamp-on
type flow measuring devices at the pump discharge.  Compare the hydrant flow
to the ultrasonic flow to identify the simultaneous domestic demand +
leakage.  When I contacted FM about this they did not have any objection to
this technology but said no manufacturer had ever submitted this technology
for approval.  I know it's common in the industrial setting but I am
wondering if any of you "red" pump people have ever come across an
application?

Bill Brooks

William N. Brooks, P.E.
Brooks Fire Protection Engineering Inc.