I would say you have combustible framing members less than 3' on center so you are limited to 130 sq ft spacing. If the space is less than 60" deep, you may want to consider something like the Tyco CC3 and get up to 16' spacing at 256 sq ft. Also, the design area would be reduced. You would have 1950 sq ft with SSU, assuming this is dry, or 1300 sq ft with CC3, again, assuming it is dry.

Travis Mack, SET
MFP Design, LLC
2508 E Lodgepole Drive
Gilbert, AZ 85298
480-505-9271
fax: 866-430-6107
email:[email protected]

http://www.mfpdesign.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MFP-Design-LLC/92218417692
Send large files to us via: https://www.hightail.com/u/MFPDesign
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/travismack

On 11/21/2016 12:56 PM, Ben Young wrote:
So I have a crawl space that was originally supposed to get drywall on the underside of the trusses, but now the owner wants sprinklers instead.

This is inside an apartment building of type VB construction under the ground floor. The crawl space is more than 36" deep, so it doesn't require CC heads.

My question is how the heck do I treat the spacing for the heads I'm going to install?

The structure is 14" deep TJIs that are stuffed with non-faced batt insulation that's held in place by furring strips. My gut is telling me its not a smooth flat ceiling, but its also not exactly combustible obstructed either.

At this point, I don't even know whether I should consider it obstructed or unobstructed.


I'm leaning towards the insulation will act as a ceiling and I can go 1-12 down from the bottom of the truss, and do 225 SQFT spacing, but can't find anything to assuage my fears in the code.

This project was submitted under the 2010 edition of 13, but the AHJ now has adopted 2013, FYI.

I looked through 8.15.1 but that doesn't really tell me HOW to space in these areas, just if I can omit or not... also didn't find too much of use in the AFSA informal interps.

Any thoughts on this?

Benjamin Young


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to