Anthony:

The code has never been enforced this way - sprinklers are required to be
installed per NFPA 13, with its exceptions noted.  (Regarding attics, the term
"Attic" is defined in the IBC as, "The space between the ceiling framing of the
top story and the underside of the roof."  An attic is not a room in that
regard.)   I think you're "reading further than necessary".   903.3.1.1 states
that where sprinklers are required to be installed per this section, sprinklers
shall be installed per NFPA 13.  13 includes very specific exceptions for
non-combustible concealed spaces such as attics and floor/ceiling interstitial
spaces.  So, where sprinklers are required, follow 13 and the building is
considered "fully sprinklered" per the code.

903.3.1.1.1 goes further, and clarifies the language in both 13 and the IBC
that states "all areas" of the building must be protected with sprinklers.  In
that context, this section expands on the rooms and areas where sprinkler
protection can be excluded, but ONLY if detection is provided.   I don't
believe it has ever been the intent of 903.1.1.1 to supersede the exceptions in
13 for non-combustible concealed spaces.   If that was the intent, we would
have been putting sprinklers into concealed spaces for years and the NFPA 13
committee would have already harmonized the standard with the code.

[cid:image004.jpg@01D65A92.D741FF40]