On Dec 4, 2008, at 4:21 AM, Gaetan de Menten wrote:

> Here are the suggestions that come to mind:
>
> - You should either get rid of, or (preferably) expand/replace the
> current top-level "table of contents". As it is currently, there is
> only one useful link in there (API reference) and the table of
> contents block waste way too much space for just one link.

I agree - unfortunately this so far seems to be a limitation of
Sphinx.   I like the table of contents on individual documentation
pages where its meaningful, and since every page uses the same
template, you have no choice but to display the ${toc} variable, which
is provided by Sphinx as a string with the full <ul><li> structure
inside of it.  If you take a look at the sidebar on docs.python.org,
you'll see its the exact same thing.    I can perhaps make the display
of ${toc} conditional based on the name of the page (i.e. index).   I
really wish Sphinx would provide the ${toc} as a Python structure
which can be manipulated.

> I liked the
> old condensed table of contents which fit entirely on the screen
> without scrolling.

yeah we don't have a lot of options for that and the index page is
where I've been the most frustrated.

> - The vertical spacing between the <li> is slightly too large to my
> taste, making for too much scrolling. I'd prefer a spacing roughly
> equivalent to the old doc site. This issue might become mostly
> irrelevant if the first one is fixed.

I was trying to get the <li> to be exactly the same and was not
successful.  I'm not that good at CSS to figure it out (though we're
trying not to use any pixel sizes...maybe we need to just do that).

> - Inside the "Object Relational Tutorial" section, the TOC is flat.
> The hierarchical one was better IMO.

thats a bug, i need to fix the headings in the tutorial