Mike,

Gaetan's right -- I just viewed the site a day after you (Mike) said
that the <li> issue had been fixed, but they're still too widely
spaced for sure.  There are several conflicting (well ok, inheriting/
overriding) settings of line-height across the various css files, and
it does not appear that padding is actually the problem.

Here, make the following change to site_docs.css and see what you
think.

current:

a { line-height: 1.2em; }

replace this with:

li li { line-height: 1.2em; }

This leaves in place the 1.3em that's inherited from above for the
main <li>s, but their sub-items get a more cozy 1.2em.  To me this
looks as it should.

Eric