On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:48:10AM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:32:46 -0700
> Scott Robison <sc...@casaderobison.com> wrote:
>
> > Basing source on "ANSI C" (as much as possible) just gives you the
> > biggest possible distribution / compatibility.
>
> Yes, but it also limits you to C as it stood 20 years ago.  And
> counting.  Is there no point at which a more recent standard should be
> adopted?  Among features of C11 I use:
>
>       stdint.h
>       stdbool.h
>       VLA
>       designated initialization
>
> SQLite would benefit from all of those, plus UTF-8 string constants.

Since this is the sqlite users list and not the dev's list, can I ask
what your use case is that writing a thin wrapper around SQLITE doesn't
solve your problem?

For example, I didn't like the amount of boilerplate code I was writing
for database calls and wanted classes plus exceptions, so I wrote
the thin wrapper sqLITER in very basic C++.  Ok, the name wasn't very
creative and it's only a few pages of code, but it gave me the wide
support and even file format of SQLITE and the greater efficiency
and maintainability of a higher level language.
sqliter.org  (haven't pushed the exceptions code yet)

-Nathan