On Jan 29, 2017 5:49 PM, "Simon Slavin" <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

On 30 Jan 2017, at 12:06am, Scott Robison <sc...@casaderobison.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how big the market is, but there are older computers in use
in
> areas that might be running older OS because anything newer is too
bloated.

The emphasis is shifted to non-modern compilers because a large proportion
of the literally billions of installations of SQLite are on embedded
computers, not the sort of computers people sit at and type on.  SQLite is
inside TVs, TV recorders, WiFi routers, Point Of Sale tills, elevator
controllers, SatNav units, weather monitoring stations and, my recent
favourite discovery, those machines in car parks which take your money and
print your ticket.  Some machines of the above types.  Probably not all of
them.

Understood and agreed. I'm just observing that not everyone is even using a
modern machine as a desktop workstation.

Those machines use small cheap processors, designed a long time ago, which
are addressed with old compilers which support old versions of C.  Ten
years old is not uncommon, especially if the device doesn’t need to support
a graphical user interface.

So a round of bringing SQLite3 up to date to support shiny new versions of
C is likely to introduce problems for many programmers unless you’ve hired
the sort of C lawyer who has all the changes in his or her head.  Better to
make changes just when people point out problems.  SQLite4 can be a new
start, with a stated set of compilers supported.

Simon.