It's an iBook, so some version of OS X I would guess. From a little
searching online, 10.2 was the last release in 2002, and it seems that it
may have included GCC 3.3. GCC 3.3 did not fully support C99 (as its
release notes indicated "A few more ISO C99 features now work correctly."
Of course, things could have been upgraded in which case this is all moot.

I appreciate the desire to be using as modern of a toolset as possible.
Basing source on "ANSI C" (as much as possible) just gives you the biggest
possible distribution / compatibility. Not that you can just ignore other
issues, of course, but given that a fix for this issue has already been
committed, and allows the code to work with both C89 & C99, the original
report is no longer a consideration.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:08 PM, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:40:23 -0500
> Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> > On 1/29/17, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder what pricey embedded environment both supports dlopen(2)
> > > and does not support C99, in this day and age.
> >
> > One of the test platforms for SQLite is an old iBook I bought back in
> > approximately 2002.  Dunno if it support C99 or not, but I suspect
> > not, as there is quite a bit it does not support.
>
> What compiler and OS are you using?  The pcc and gcc compilers both
> support C99 on the PPC architecture.
>
> > This is a important test platform because it uses a PPC CPU, which
> > means it is big-endian and thus serves to verify that SQLite works on
> > both big-endian and little-ending machines and that the database files
> > are freely interchangeable.
>
> I am glad you do this.  I used to do the same for FreeTDS using
> Sparcstation.
>
> If you are interested in upgrading the SQLite core to C99, I'm
> willing to do the legwork and can supply the needed paperwork.  I know
> we can find a compiler for your PPC machine, and I bet if need be we can
> port pcc to whatever you're running.   (ISTM enlisting pcc would add to
> SQLite's portability, btw.)
>
> --jkl

Scott Robison