On Sunday, 29 January, 2017 19:50, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org>, said:

> On 30 Jan 2017, at 12:06am, Scott Robison <sc...@casaderobison.com> wrote:

> > I'm not sure how big the market is, but there are older computers in use
> > in areas that might be running older OS because anything newer is too
> > bloated.

> The emphasis is shifted to non-modern compilers because a large proportion
> of the literally billions of installations of SQLite are on embedded
> computers, not the sort of computers people sit at and type on.  SQLite is
> inside TVs, TV recorders, WiFi routers, Point Of Sale tills, elevator
> controllers, SatNav units, weather monitoring stations and, my recent
> favourite discovery, those machines in car parks which take your money and
> print your ticket.  Some machines of the above types.  Probably not all of
> them.

> Those machines use small cheap processors, designed a long time ago, which
> are addressed with old compilers which support old versions of C.  Ten
> years old is not uncommon, especially if the device doesn’t need to
> support a graphical user interface.

And just how many of these "small cheap" processors running TVs, TV recorders,
WiFi routers, Point Of Sale tills, elevator controllers, SatNav units, weather
monitoring stations and those machines in car parks which take your money and
print your ticket, have the "big computer version" of ICU  compiled into them
and would be affected in any way by this issue currently under dispute?

ICU takes more memory than most TV's, TV recorders, Point of Sale tills,
elevator controllers, SatNav units, weather monitoring stations and those
machines in car parks which take your money and print your ticket, have
available -- let alone room to shoehorn in a basic operating system, SQLite3,
and a program to actually DO something as well.