On Jun 14, 2008, at 10:39 AM, Daniel White wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> My first post to this list, and I'm new to SQL in general too.
>
> Just a couple of questions to start:
>
> ***1:
> In the sqlite3_prepare_v2 function, can someone explain
> to me the 5th parameter better than the site's help can?
>
> I quote:
> /* OUT: Pointer to unused portion of zSql */
>
> I'm a bit perplexed. zSql is just the SQL query string.
> There isn't an unused portion really, and even if there
> was, I can't imagine how it could be of use. I just want
> SQlite to process the string up to the NULL terminator.
>
> I tend to use 0. eg:
> sqlite3_prepare_v2(database,sqlstring,-1,&ppStmt,0);
>
> It seems to 'work'. However, I'm still curious as to what
> that 5th parameter really does, or why you really need it.

For when you have a string containing more than one SQL statement.
i.e.

   "INSERT INTO songs VALUES(...) ; INSERT INTO songs VALUES(...) ; ..."

If this string is passed to sqlite3_prepare_v2, the unused portion
begins right after the first semi-colon.

> ***2:
> When I use the SQL query string:
> "SELECT * FROM songs WHERE SongTitle like 'hexion'"

The song title is actually 'Hexion'. By default LIKE is case-
insensitive,
= is not.

Dan.