"Daniel White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Oh well, there are one or two 'hacks' around it. The first is
> to use COLLATE BINARY, or COLLATE NOCASE after the SQL query.
> This appears okay on the surface, but probably ignores
> unicode chars or something. It may also slow down the query (?)
>
> The other idea is to simply use "LIKE 'xyz'" instead of

LIKE is case-insesnsitive in the same way COLLATE NOCASE is - just
considering A-Z equal to a-z. It doesn't support Unicode either.

In fact, there ain't no such thing as "Unicode collation". Collation
depends on locale. E.g. A (capital letter A with diaresis) comes after A
in German, but after Z in Swedish.

I believe SQLite can be built with ICU support
(http://www.icu-project.org/), which introduces a number of
Unicode-aware collations. I'm not familiar with the details though.

Igor Tandetnik