On 6 Mar 2012, at 8:48pm, John Salerno <johnj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to both of you. The question of normalization was one thing I was
> considering, I just wasn't sure how it should be done. A separate table
> with Artist ID and Artist Name fields could be useful. Would it be good to
> make an equivalent table for the songs, or should the songs simply be
> listed individually in the main table?

I don't understand the purpose of the table you originally described.  If you
are listing the same tracks again and again, listing different times it was
played, then it would be useful to have three tables (artists, tracks, plays).
If each track is listed just once then I don't think you need a separate table
for tracks.

Having three tables would make it very easy to list some statistics you might
not have originally planned on getting.  You could, for instance, very quickly
list how many times each track had been played.  Having people type the full
track name in every time would inevitably lead to them typing it slightly
differently sometimes, which would make full reporting untrustworthy.

Simon.