On Mar 7, 7:33 am, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> I don't understand the purpose of the table you originally described.  If you
> are listing the same tracks again and again, listing different times it was
> played, then it would be useful to have three tables (artists, tracks,
> plays). If each track is listed just once then I don't think you need a
> separate table for tracks.
>
> Having three tables would make it very easy to list some statistics you might
> not have originally planned on getting.  You could, for instance, very
> quickly list how many times each track had been played.  Having people type
> the full track name in every time would inevitably lead to them typing it
> slightly differently sometimes, which would make full reporting untrustworthy.

Do you mean have a table that contains just the artist names, with an
ID for each; then another table with song names, an ID for each song,
and the ID for the artist; and then another table with play dates and
times, with the ID of the song connecting it? I'm trying to figure out
how it will all be connected.