Johannes Wagener wrote:
> Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA
<snip>

+1

I'd like to endorse this proposal.

While AD-Hoc commands and Data Forms does offer a lot of flexibility, XMPP
could benefit from extended capability in terms of representation of in
terms of machine-to-machine communications that are outside of XMPP which is
operating as a transport layer.

I would like to make a suggestion though.

I can see this proposal being used in my application framework where I have
to ship lots of user interface specifications, SNMP information, accounting
information and other stuff around the XMPP network. My current
implementation is a hack on top of data-forms and various other namespace
hacks. My only reservation is with the error conditions.

The proposal currently states that error conditions are handled according to
the AD-Hoc commands which IMO is not sufficient.

Sure, sending a <cmd:bad-payload /> element in response to a submission is
possible, but it doesn't give the machine receiving this error any specific
detail as to the nature of the problem, other than a string.

Would be nice if there was an <error> element that would specify a schema
for errors possibly? I don't know...

Apologies if this doesn't make much sense, but it was written on the move...

--
Richard