Tim Clotworthy wrote:
This is really a simple aside, but is there a way to have the text
(label) of the button appear different that the value of the submit, and
if so, how does one do it? Thanks.

Yes and no.

The HTML 4.0.1 standard allows you to specify a <button> tag which does this but IE doesn't support it properly. Mozilla supports it correctly though. I have only checked with IE6 and Mozilla 1.3/1.4.

The button tag can even include different styles and images on the button eg

Problems I found with IE's support of the button tag:
1. The default type should be 'submit' from the standard, but IE treats it as 'button' so it doesn't cause the form to submit. Fixed by adding the type="submit" to the tag

2. (the problem that stops me using it) If you have more than 1 button tag in your form all the button values will be included when the form submits - which makes it useless.

Eg if i have the following buttons:

<button name="method" value="update" type="submit">update me</button>
<button name="method" value="delete" type="submit">delete me</button>

I click the 'update me' button, IE will submit the following values method=update&method=delete, when it should only send method=update.

check out the spec here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-BUTTON

--Jason Lea