From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 4:08 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: RE: Advice wanted, on 'Analemmatic' sundial orientation

Dear Alison

One expedient, at least in theory, would be to fix a plane mirror, suitably
angled in plan to the main driveway and tilted to convert the analemmatic
sundial ellipse into a circle.  The position of the human gnomon would not vary
with the season.  The sundial would receive reflected sunlight only on six
months of the year, during the summer months, but this is when most visitors
would be around.

Unfortunately you would need either an enormous mirror or a very modest
analemmatic sundial.

John Lynes