DoctorBill wrote:
LMH wrote:
Philip TAYLOR wrote:

DoctorBill wrote:

E-Bay does not "Like" SeaMonkey....SM is being Boycotted !

I use E-bay virtually every day, and I use no browser other than
Seamonkey.

Philip Taylor

I generally set my cookies to "ask me every time" as far as when they
expire.
edit > preferences > privacy & security > cookies > "ask for every
cookie"

This means that every time a site tries to set a cookie, I get a prompt
asking if I want to "allow, allow for session, or block". There is also
a check box that lets you use the same response for all cookies from the
site. For first party cookies (from the site you are on), I usually
check "allow for session". This allows the cookies, but deletes them as
soon as you leave the page. I generally block all cookies that are not
from the site I am on. This may seem like a pain, but SM remembers you
selections and you get things working the way you want pretty quickly. I
let a few sites, like Yahoo where I have some web sites, set permanent
cookies, but I have generally found that session cookies work just fine.

I also use no-script and I find that it helps allot to set it to
temporarily allow scripts from the top level site. There are some sites
where I need to allow a bit more, but top level temp seems to work well
for me.

Most of your security software seems to be targeted at adware, and a
trojan is a not the same thing. I use Comodo IS Pro (along with super
antispyware pro) and find my system very secure. CIS automatically runs
any program it doesn't recognize in a sandbox, and I also have it set so
programs are by default not allowed to connect to the internet so I get
a prompt if anything tries to. Having your operating system and programs
installed in their own partition (not with your data) and up to date
system images are essential. If I think I got something nasty I just
restore my OS to the last image and I am back to a clean system in 5
minutes. Having the OS and data on different partitions means I don't
loose any data if I have to restore. Since running a full battery of
malware scans can take me a full day, I much prefer this approach.

LMH

Ok....Wow !

I think I understand 33% of that.

Let me study what you've said.

DoctorBill

As far as seamonkey goes, you can probably improve your experience quite an still keep good privacy/security by modifying your cookie and noscript settings.

Please feel free to ask questions. It's hard to know how detailed to get with a post since you generally don't know how familiar the user is with the software. I try to split the difference and may not have been clear. I will be as detailed as you need to get your setup configured properly, just let me know.

As far as overall privacy/security and system backup goes, a solid setup is also not too hard to get to and well worth the effort. If there are a substantial number of questions in those areas, we may be asked to move that discussion off of the seamonkey board, since it is not directly seamonkey related. In that event, there are some good forums that you can start a thread in.

LMH