On 22/08/14 19:25, Patrick Turner wrote:
It seems like many say here that MS Word and Front Page are poor html coders,
and that the coded page has huge size compared to say SeaMonkey.
I just looked at 'properties' of 6 of my webpages I have listed in my local
turneraudio.com.au folder, and 5 were between 32kB and 64kB, all done in SeaMonkey. ONE
was created with MS Word, maybe 5 years old on my XP PC, and its 100kB, so its got more
stuff which must be html because the text isn't much different in quantity to other
pages. So, it seems to me the MS Word is NOT bloating up the content to a huge amount. If
I did use Front Page, maybe it would be the case, but after reading 10 pages of 46 listed
on how to use Front Page I saw SFA about disadvantages and nothing about comparisons to
other composers. I saw a lot about how to make a website which makes money, but I don't
want that, and I don't want the Front Page "themes" or styles and piles of
other junk which is all nice and pretty to some, but ugly to me, and all done to con ppl
into paying for something rather than teaching a craft.

My pages have many schematics which are mostly .gif, monochrome, ie, just plain
black and white, No Frills, Bells, Whistles. ( NFBW ) The size of images is
additional to what I say above because they are kept in separate folders.
Total website is 58.3MB, 965 Files, 105 Folders.
Don't ask me what average file or average folder size is. I'm a PC dummy right?

Somebody once said 10 years ago my website would be Hugh Mungouslee Huge if it
was in FP. Someone else even prepared a FP version and gave me a copy on CD and
I had to be polite because I hated everything I saw, and then my site was only
20MB in Netscape. I didn't even bother to find how big it was.

Patrick Turner.

Hey, Patrick (or some other interested party), just to prove us wrong, could you try the following..... 1. download one of the web page files from your website and save it to your hard disk somewhere,
2.      check out the file size in your Windows Explorer,
3.      open that file in MS Word
4,      make one, very simple, change (maybe change the word "and" to "ad")
5.      save that file
6.      check out the file size in your Windows Explorer
7.      make one, very simple, change (maybe change the word "and" to "ad")
8.      save that file
9.      open that file in SM Composer
10.     make one, very simple, change (maybe change the word "and" to "ad")
11.     save that file
12.     check out the file size in your Windows Explorer

Is there much difference between to two saved file sizes??

(I don't have MS Word!! .... I wonder if OpenOffice/LibreOffice are as sloppy as MS Word?? I'm guessing not!!)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140415200419
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140408191805