Even using spare parts, a complete system can be cheap.

- one plug computer with ethernet: 75 euros
  (or with wifi :  < 100 euros)
- one usb 7.1 sound card: < 20 euros
- four or more small fullrange speakers: ?

The first step would be to create a complete software system with a good
user interface, either with a lightweight GUI or a web interface, that
could run on any computer (not only on a dedicated hardware).

I don't think that mass production is important; the hardware is
changing too fast, so any integrator could propose their own version of
the system with different options (and speaker configurations).

--
Marc