THis is of course exactly what I said! That surround is good
for ambience. That was my whole point in fact--that
if ambience is what you want and of course for concert
music it is what you want, then Ambisonics with its
emphasis on homogeneity is going to a lot of trouble
for something that can be done more simply.
I am pretty sure everyone understands that an anechoic
orchestra sounds odd indeed!
The question is how to get ambience effectively in practical
terms.

Robert