Two weeks ago, I saw a performance of Répons by Boulez. It was a
canadian première, 30 years after its creation. The audience surrounded
the orchestra, and six percussion instruments surrounded the audience,
along with 6 speakers. It was happening in a very large room (an old
boat factory), so there was an incredible mix of close and distant
sounds. I saw many other concerts with instruments and sounds
surrounding the audience, with music from John Cage, Terry Riley,
Steve Reich, and even Schubert. It may not be common, but it does
exist, so we should expect some more surround recordings in a not so
distant future. One of the most interesting 5.0 recordings I heard is
the Virtual Haydn project, that recreates the acoustic experience of
small concert halls of the 18th century.

David Pickett <d...@fugato.com> a écrit:

> At 10:34 02/04/2012, Robert Greene wrote:
> >It may be old but it is still all but universal
> >in acoustic concert music.
> >I think it is disingenuous to say that it is not.
> >How many symphony concerts have you been to
> >recently where the orchestra surrounded the audience.
> >The other way around, sure.
> >But I think this is just not true, that music
> >with the musicians around the audience is common.
> >Not in the statistical sense of percentage of
> >concerts where it happens.
>
> We are not talking about concerts, but about recordings...  Why
> should one imitate the other?  And as far as most symphony concerts
> in the USA go, they as close to a 19th century artform as one could
> imagine.
>
> David

"Tous les hommes prennent les limites de leur champ visuel pour les
limites du monde." Arthur Schopenhauer