Ten days ago, I made an archive recording of Birmingham Opera's presentation of
Jonathan Dove's new work, Life Is A Dream at a disused factory: the orchestra
were in a fixed position, but the performers, including a 100-strong amateur
chorus, and the audience, moved around the space. I was very restricted in how
I managed to make this recording and I opted for a mix of fixed and moving M/S
set-ups, spot and ambience miking, using both a mobile Soundfield SPS200 and a
fixed, at the orchestra position, Core-Sound TetraMic. I'm currently listening
through the recordings in order to make a definitive archive copy and when I
listen to the sections of the orchestral performance in surround from the
TetraMic, the results are thrilling. Similarly, the chorus sections recorded
with the Soundfield in the huge space of the empty warehouse listened to in
surround, are much more involving than when I drop down to a two channel mix.

I've recorded Dove's work before, in Peterborough, where the performers and
audience moved from the interior of the cathedral to a shopping mall via the
town centre and at The Hackney Empire Theatre, where there were two choirs at
opposite sides of the top balcony, an Oud ensemble in one of the high boxes, a
steel band and a Salvation Army band at the opposites sides of the rear of the
theatre, a jazz ensemble in one of the stage boxes and a conventional chamber
orchestra in the pit. This is modern, accessible material that benefits hugely
from the space in which it's performed and, although the final edit will be in
stereo, I will also be supplying a surround version, just for the hell of it. I
think that there's far more spatial music out there than you might think.

Regards,

John