Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:

Did I say anything different? The thing is FOA sounds just fine with 4 speakers, and 4 decent speakers are a
lot more affordable than 6, 8, or more decent speakers. The way the world economy is going (stagnant wages
combined with inflation in the "rich" countries, and rising wages in poor countries, which means
global income averaging), people will in inflation adjusted terms have less disposable income for tech
gadgetry in the "rich" countries, and may be barely get to the point where they can afford
entry-level systems in the "poor" countries.

But you bought all the Apple stuff, not me...   :-)

You don't buy speakers very often, this is a typical long-term buy.

If you don't have any surround market (unless for home theater), typical audio equipment companies won't sell a lot of speakers. If I talk about Germany or Britain, some people certainly could and would spend more on typical "hi fi" (now: surround) stuff if there would be a market at all, which isn't. (The "world economy" is actually growing, so your argument doesn't convince me.)

That means stereo systems will already be considered expensive, and something
that requires four speakers will start to push the pain envelope. Forget 6 or 8
speaker setups, these are a luxury for an upper crust of high-income or
high-networth people, and they won't sustain a mass market.

Currently nobody as 8 speaker setups because there is no music around. It is not necessarily about "luxury products", because even the richtest customers can't listen to enough recordings.

Secondly, good speakers don't have to be so expensive as they tell you in the local hi fi shop. And thirdly, you will buy less times speakers in your life than iPhones/Android phones...

Best,

Stefan Schreiber