Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:

On 14 Apr 2012, at 16:47, Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:

UHJ is simple and convenient, because people can buy it as a regular stereo
track like the rest of the music. No pop-up with a choice: stereo or surround
version, no playlists where one has to make sure the stereo version ends up on
the iPod, and the surround version is used for home playback. None of that. One
file, one solution, stereo, portable, home, car, whatever. No confusion for
consumers, distribution channel, radio capable, etc. THAT works.

No, it didn't work.

That's just a plain lie. Obviously I can listen to a UHJ encoded CD or radio
transmission as regular stereo, and if I have the equipment/software, I can
also decode it into surround.
It works, I've heard it, I have the UHJ CDs that I can (and often have to) play
back as stereo.

UHJ will (mostly) be heard as "plain stereo",

So what? That's the entire point. Selling UHJ encoded material requires hardly
a change in the distribution channel, and requires no change at all for the
consumer, unless they want to explore the surround sound feature.

Anthony, this is my point: UHJ didn't work for distribution of surround music.

"No change at all" doesn't give you surround at home. "Unless they want to explore" is exactly what didn't work out, and then people might want to explore some real surround.

How many people have an UHJ decoder? How many people have Dolby Surround decoders? (I mean the old form, not the discrete one...)

Best

Stefan Schreiber