About the virtual speakers in FOA for stereo.
And the ideal listening angle  is real life os +- 23 degrees
The best way to listen to stereo loudspeakers is not with totally linear
speakers :-)
There need to be some modfication to direct sound from the speakers if the
sound to the ears is to be the when listening to a centered sound as when
listening to a mono sound source in the centerr.
This is called the stereo sytem error.

http://www.faktiskt.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=291133

some knowlede might be borrowed from here ?
http://www.ambiophonics.org/

Bo-Erik