Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@...> writes:

> are you talking about a head-tracked VR movie?

Yes.

> i don't see why you would want to do that. the effect will be quite
> strange... why would any part of the sound mix stay constant wrt head
> position?
> the effect would be a bit like rotating the music bed in the cinema
> every time the camera pans - funny, but certainly irritating.

It would be for off-camera audio (voice over, music etc.) that don't have
any relation to the camera position/rotation.

Imagine a video with an on-camera actor (dialog), a voice over and a music
track. You would want the on-camera dialog to match the video position (so
counter-rotate) , but the VO and music track will not rotate.

> if you absolutely have to do it, the only way is to deliver two streams,
> one head-tracked and counter-rotated, the other not. which means you'd
> have to have control over the listener's player software.

That's what I was afraid of...so I would need 6 channels instead of 4.

> the only way to get two rotationally invariant signals into the stream
> is a cardioid pointing up and another one pointing down. if your player
> ignores head tilt, the result is like summing to mono and mixing into W.
> if it supports head tilt, the result is likely even worse :-

Would that be the same as rotating the encoded stereo stream (set to 0º
spread)  by 90º vertically?

Thank you!