The Raspberry PI route is interesting and relatively cheap.
There are now 8-channel "hats" like this one:
http://www.suptronics.com/miniPCkits/x6000-8.0ch.html
and there's even one board with a 4x100W amp in the making.
Check all boards: http://www.suptronics.com/boards.html
I love my $30 X400 hat with the integrated speaker and headphone amps.

But a 24-channel RPI based solution would be much more difficult to
integrate and would still cost over $400, which is about the same price
than the uTrack24 (but only in Europe where it's sold for 375 euros; in
the US it's $999, go figure).

Then, there's the problem of building a custom Linux system for the task
of playing audio (and doing tax returns). Then the required logic to
synchronize 2 or more RPIs must be added. Also, the RPI takes at least a
minute to boot from an unreliable SD card. It'd be fun, but a bit risky.

One possibility is to add 2 USB sound modules to the RPI, synchronizing
them to the 8-channel hat using the zita-ajbridge software, but I doubt
that a SD card can provide enough bandwidth for 24 channels of
uncompressed audio, even at 16bit/44.1Khz.

So I still believe that for a reliable computer based solution, a
single PC computer would be easier and safer. Also, the PC platform is
mature, and a well defined method can survive PC hardware upgrades.

--
Marc

--
Marc