Actually, 802.11at Type 2 supports up to 25w, but requires more effort to
source power. That is, newer more costly, switches or insertors.

The hack you describe isn't really so hack-ish, since there are a number of
non-802.11 compliant approaches to POE. Including one that's capable of
delivering up to 90 watts.

Here's a unique approach called Digital Electricity. https://voltserver.com/
They provide high-power and data over a simple 2-conductor pair. They claim 20x
the power and distance of 802.11af solutions.

Cost is another matter.

 Michael Graves
 mgra...@mstvp.com
http://www.mgraves.org