The Rasberry pi route does look really interesting - maybe for another
installation - but I really want this one to last years and its had so much
hard work put into the sound (started this one around 15 years ago) I
really really want it to be rock solid and not let down by the hardware
peripherals. I am not attached to any particular solution computer or
otherwise - I just want it to work - budget is a factor but I think the
client will want something more expensive that lasts than something cheaper
that doesnt and I dont want to cut corners.. The last two installations
both computer and motu were sealed in church altars in a museum - yet
despite being hidden and laden with warning signs -  they still got
switched off by cleaners and there wer epower cuts. They were interactive
so had to use computers - they used infrared range sensors (another note -
when temperature changes so does the threshold of the infraredrange sensors
to trigger events - I think it will be ultrasonic next time). Occasionally
when rebooted the multichannel file playing software - did not find the
motu audio driver but just went to the realtek MME. I was called out on a
couple of occasions just to change the driver settings, once just to plug
the computer back in. I think the problem with the motus might have been
the cold - these places were unheated and winters were bad. I have used
motus when doing installations in the Amazon and they were fine - perhaps
they just prefer the heat.
The idea of using a computer has its appeal if I can get on the network and
change files out - that presents interesting remote possibilities , as well
as of course being able to repair software problems remotely - I am sure
plenty of installations round the world have been running on computers
quite happily for years - however the physical location this system will be
installed in (ie staff will have access) and the experience Ive had, even
after taking every precaution - makes me wary of using a computer for this
particular installation.  The Cymatic and the Joeco look promising . The
Cymatic is £375 and the Joe Co is around £2000. The difference in price is
not really the issue for me - but reliability is. However I have already
read reports of the Cymatic being more reliable in some situations and the
agent at DV247 said they had never been sent one back - they also would
both come with the same guarantee - 3 years .
I would be interested if anyone has any experience with either of them ?

On 28 June 2017 at 14:37, Marc Lavallée <m...@hacklava.net> wrote:

> The Raspberry PI route is interesting and relatively cheap.
> There are now 8-channel "hats" like this one:
> http://www.suptronics.com/miniPCkits/x6000-8.0ch.html
> and there's even one board with a 4x100W amp in the making.
> Check all boards: http://www.suptronics.com/boards.html
> I love my $30 X400 hat with the integrated speaker and headphone amps.
>
> But a 24-channel RPI based solution would be much more difficult to
> integrate and would still cost over $400, which is about the same price
> than the uTrack24 (but only in Europe where it's sold for 375 euros; in
> the US it's $999, go figure).
>
> Then, there's the problem of building a custom Linux system for the task
> of playing audio (and doing tax returns). Then the required logic to
> synchronize 2 or more RPIs must be added. Also, the RPI takes at least a
> minute to boot from an unreliable SD card. It'd be fun, but a bit risky.
>
> One possibility is to add 2 USB sound modules to the RPI, synchronizing
> them to the 8-channel hat using the zita-ajbridge software, but I doubt
> that a SD card can provide enough bandwidth for 24 channels of
> uncompressed audio, even at 16bit/44.1Khz.
>
> So I still believe that for a reliable computer based solution, a
> single PC computer would be easier and safer. Also, the PC platform is
> mature, and a well defined method can survive PC hardware upgrades.
>
> --
> Marc
>
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:51:09 +0300 (EEST)
> Sampo Syreeni <de...@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > But if I *didn't* miss anything, I believe what you're after is
> > simply a high number of well synched channels, at a reasonable price
> > point. You want to get 22 of them right? Possibly more? You want them
> > to be child and bomb proof, too, right?
> >
> > You can't get that kind of hardware in over seven channels. You can't
> > get it compactly in over for, or perhaps six. Even then the stuff
> > will take the form of developer boards or SoC based hacker boards
> > such as the Pi.
> >
> > So, you're going to have to do some integration work in any case for
> > channel counts as high as you're asking for. My favourite would be
> > something like a Raspberry Pi for each eight channels, stacking the
> > D/A converters on top on 2x4 daughterboards. That'd buy you 8
> > channels per board, with ample processing power and Ethernet
> > connectivity to spare. You could even push it as far as three
> > daughter boards, so 12 channels per motherboard, and you still
> > wouldn't saturate either of the USB or the Ethernet port. But you be
> > pushing the processor quite a lot already, if you did any substantial
> > processing, such as well-resampled fractional sample delay correction
> > which I suggested above.
>
> --
> Marc

Augustine Leudar